The Board of Directors and Staff of the Free Medical and Dental Clinic are committed to the belief that access to affordable health care is a basic human necessity. The Clinic exists to provide the widest scope of primary care possible to those who do not have access to other health care providers. While care is provided at no cost, it is also provided within the constraints imposed by the use of volunteers and limited resources.
The ICFMC has a small group of dedicated staff members working to serve Iowa City and surrounding communities.
Executive Director (with the Clinic since 1992)
Iowa native Barbara Vinograde loves working with the staff, volunteers, and supporters of the Free Clinic. When she’s not at FMC, she enjoys the outdoors (especially the mountains and the desert), reading, music, and buying books at Prairie Lights. She has a background in music performance and loves listening to Beethoven. She has been a proud employee of FMC since 1992!
- Barbara says, “I’ve always known the health care system in the United States was very flawed, and I wanted to work to make it better. I’m still working on that.”
Cecilia Norris, MD
Medical Director since 2005
Hailing from Sioux City, Iowa, Dr. Norris leads a busy life. When she’s not driving her three children to their various activities or walking her dogs, Shelby & Mocha, you might find her volunteering with the Girl Scouts, her church, or local schools.
- Dr. Norris says, “I think that health care should be a right and that we all have a responsibility to help those in need however our talents allow us to. I am fortunate to be able to do this in an environment that is inclusive, understanding and committed to give patients the best health care we can.”
Stacy Wilkerson, RN
Director of Clinic Operations since 2016
Before becoming the Clinic's Director of Operations, Stacy worked as a nurse with Mercy Hospital and Iowa City Hospice. As the newest member the Free Clinic family, Stacy has already become an integral member of the staff. Stacy's 5 boys keep her busy when she's not at work!
- Stacy says,"The Free Clinic plays an invaluable role in the health of many people in the community. I'm so glad the Clinic is here and that I am able to be a part of this organization."
Michael Catney, RN, MA
Staff Nurse since 2007
Mike worked at the local VA Hospital for 35 years prior to joining FMC, first as a volunteer, and later as a paid employee. He lives with his wife, and has two grown children. His favorite activities include flying, golfing and traveling. He doesn’t mind doing odd jobs around the house, and occasionally enjoys yard work.
- Mike says: “I am proud to be a part of providing the much needed service and care that the Free Clinic gives to those in need.”
William Riker, PA-C
Clinic Assistant since 2004
Known as Guillermo to his Spanish-speaking friends and Enrico to his Italian friends, William has been involved with FMC since 2003. He also works with Proteus, caring for migrant farm workers in Iowa. His passions include learning other languages, and watching movies or hearing music in foreign languages. When not at FMC or working with Proteus, you might find him out golfing, or at the dog park with his little dog, Jasper.
- William says: “It’s amazing to be associated with an organization with such an important mission.”
Bookkeeper since 2012
Musically inclined Jane is an Iowa City native. She has been Principle Flutist with Orchestra Iowa (formerly the Cedar Rapids Symphony) since 1973. Jane lives with her husband David (Principle Oboist in Orchestra Iowa), their dog Buddy, and cats Lydia and Angie. Before all the pets, they raised two children, Matthew and Rachel. Jane and David are former co-owners of Eble Music Company in Iowa City, a nationally recognized classical sheet music store. When not performing, Jane is busy making the FMC staff sing by preparing their paychecks.
- Jane says: "I love my job at the Free Clinic.The staff and volunteers are wonderful people, and I am proud to be part of an organization that does such caring work."
Clinic and Volunteer Manager since 2016
A Chicago native, Jennifer traded the busy city life for small town Iowa life when she relocated here in 2015. She enjoys spending time with her 7 year old son, movies, and is a Marvel fan and foodie.She also volunteers as a Cub Scout troop mom.
- Jen says: "I am passionate about helping others and I'm happy to provide every patient with quality healthcare services at the Iowa City Free Medical & Dental Clinic."
Pharmacy Assistant since 2013
Returning Champ, Gail, previously worked at FMC from 2008-2011. She currently lives with her husband of 42 years and her kitty cat Rainy. Gail and her husband have two daughters who also have two daughters. She loves spending time with her granddaughters and doing yardwork.
- Gail says: "Because there was a time when I was a patient at the clinic, I know how valuable it is to this community."
Whitney Weber, RDA
Dental Assistant since 2011
Whitney joined FMC after a dentist she worked with began volunteering here. Her favorites include pasta, the color purple, and country music, and she enjoys golfing, working out, and shopping. A graduate from Minnesota State University with a background in Community Health, she chose to work as a dental assistant in order to give something back to her community.
- Whitney says: "I enjoy working as an assistant because there are so many individuals with oral hygiene needs, and it's extremely rewarding knowing that I have contributed and made an impact on their visit."
As a non-profit organization, FMC is governed by a Board of Directors. Board members serve a three-year term, and have the option to remain for a second term. If you are interested in serving on the Board, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
Current Board Members & Committees:
- John Westefeld, Chair (Professor, University of Iowa: Retired): Outreach, Board and Volunteer Development
- Brad Langguth, Chair-Elect (Hills Bank and Trust) Outreach, Board and Volunteer Development
- Brandon Keese, Treasurer (Hills Bank and Trust): Operations, Resource Development
- Linda Kopping, Secretary (Iowa City Senior Center Coordinator): Resource Development
- Doug Beardsley (Director, Johnson County Public Health)
- Jane Dohrmann (Iowa City Hospice): Outreach
- Jane Engeldinger (UIHC Physician, Retired)
- Marty Fields (UIHC Department Administrator, Retired): Operations
- Sherri Furman (CFO, UI Foundation): Operations, Resource Development
- Ann Haugland (UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication): Outreach, Resource Development
- John Heineman (UIHC Surgery Resident): Outreach, Board and Volunteer Development
- Richard Perkins (Dentist, Retired): Personnel, Resource Development
- Chris Schuster (Physician): Outreach, Board and Volunteer Development
- Louise Wolf-Novak (Registered Dietician)
- Joe Younker (Attorney, Bradley and Riley, PC): Operations, Board and Volunteer Development