General Medical Care
General Care Clinics are usually held on Monday and Thursday evenings. The number of appointments and services available depend on which volunteers are signed up to work that evening. Appointments may be available for problems such as minor illnesses, job physicals, asthma, urinary tract infections, and sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment.
We do not provide any mental health services. You should contact the Community Mental Health Center to find out about the services that they offer if you need an appointment for this type of concern.
To try to schedule an appointment you should call the appointment line (319-337-7909 or toll-free at 877-334-8020) starting at 12:00 (noon) on the same day as the clinic.
If the line is busy keep calling back! We can only speak with one person at a time, but the line is kept open until all appointments are full for that night. Once the appointments are full, a message will play with the date of the next general care clinic.
If you need medical care before you are able to get an appointment at FMC, you may need to seek care elsewhere. There are several walk-in clinics in the Iowa City area - see our helpful resources for more info.
Chronic Medical Care
Chronic Care Clinics are usually held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, during the daytime. Patients with ongoing complex illnesses, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, will be scheduled during these times.
Call the business line (319-337-4459) to make an appointment.
Our appointments are limited. New patients may be placed on a waiting list until an appointment is available. While you are on the waiting list please inform us if your phone number changes. We require 24 hours notice to cancel appointments.
The Dick Parrott Free Dental Clinic provides basic dental care to uninsured patients. Our services and hours of operation depend on the availability of current volunteers.
Currently, the following services are available:
- Filling cavities
- Simple dental extractions (some restrictions apply, please speak to a staff member)
- College of Dentistry referrals - for patients who need a tooth extraction and have Iowa Health and Wellness insurance
- Limited dental hygiene appointments are available - Dental Hygiene Students from Kirkwood College may be at the clinic in the Spring. Please call us in January (319-337-4459) to inquire.
We schedule our dental appointments on a monthly basis. To try to schedule an appointment please call the appointment line (319-337-7909) starting at 8:30 am on the first Friday of the month. If you get a busy signal, please call back - we can only speak with one person at a time. The line is kept open until all appointments are filled, so be persistent! A scheduler will speak with you about available appointments that month. Appointments are on Monday & Thursday evenings.
The next dental scheduling day is Friday, April 4th, 2014.
If you need dental care that we do not offer or before you are able to get an appointment at FMC, you may need to seek care elsewhere. There are lower cost dental clinics in the Iowa City area - see our helpful resources for more info.
Eye Care Services
We have a limited number of Ophthalmology appointments available for diabetic patients with a referral from their FMC physician.
We have a limited number of vouchers available to clients in need of eye glasses. Bring in your current, unexpired eyeglass prescription and we can provide you with a voucher for free glasses from Lenscrafters. As we have a limited number each month, we suggest you call us first to make sure we still have vouchers available. If we're out, you may check back at the beginning of the following month. You might also look on the Zenni Optical website. They make inexpensive glasses if you can't wait until the next month.
Vouchers are non-transferable and have no cash value. They expire one week from the date they are written.
If you do not have a current eyeglass prescription we suggest you call several optician's offices to find the best price for your eye exam.
FMC is not a retail pharmacy; we are only able to fill prescriptions written by FMC physicians.
We do not stock or provide prescriptions for controlled substances.
If a doctor at FMC writes you a prescription to take to another pharmacy, such as HyVee or Walmart, you should contact that pharmacy for a refill. If an authorization is required, the pharmacy will contact FMC for approval. You should call when you have about a week left of your medicine to ensure that you get your refills on time. Many pharmacies have an automated refill system so you can call even when they are closed and reorder you medication.
Patients who need refills on medications that they received from the FMC dispensary should call the Clinic at least one week before running out of medication. We will review your chart and contact you about your refill.
Medications may only be picked up during FMC Pharmacy Hours
Thursday: 9:00am-11:00am & 6:30pm-8:30pm
FMC can help patients once each fiscal year on an emergency basis with a medication voucher for no more than $50. These vouchers do not cover insurance co-pays or discounted generic medications (i.e. $4 medications at HyVee & Walmart).
Patient Assistance Programs
Patient Assistance Programs are often available through pharmaceutical companies and provide free or discounted prescription medicines to low-income, uninsured and under-insured individuals who meet program guidelines. Eligibility criteria is different for every company.
Clinic staff will help you with such things as finding a program, completing forms and working with your doctors to get the needed prescription. You will be asked to provide income documentation, such as a copy of your taxes, or recent paychecks. Please do so in a timely manner so that we can get the medications that you need as quickly as possible. Medicine will be directly delivered to the Clinic and will be provided to you at your appointments.
Be On Time
Please arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment in order to fill out any necessary paperwork. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, you may lose your appointment time and would need to talk to staff about rescheduling.
There are times when the volunteer doctors may be running behind schedule. As with any doctor's office, you may not be seen at your appointment time, but you will be seen.
Keep Scheduled Appointments
Please call to cancel 24-48 hours in advance if you cannot come to your scheduled appointment. Our appointments are limited, and we ask that you cancel any appointment you cannot attend so we can give it to another patient. If you do not show up to a scheduled appointment without notifying the Clinic in advance, you may not be able to reschedule.
Follow your Doctor's Advice
Take your medications as prescribed by your doctor. Request medication refills before you run out by calling the pharmacy where you got the medicine at least a week before you run out. Keep your scheduled referral appointments (for x-rays, etc) as these appointments may not be able to be rescheduled if you miss them.
Update Your Information
It is your responsibility to let us know if your phone number or address changes, as well as to provide us with emergency contact information.
Leave a Message
If you call our main telephone line and you hear our voice mail, please leave us a clear message. Speak slowly, and always include your name and a phone number. We will call you back.
Listen to Your Voicemail
We often will leave a messages when we return your call or need to get information to you. Please listen to your messages before returning our call.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you need an appointment to be seen at the Free Medical Clinic? Yes, we are an appointment-based clinic, and do not accept walk-ins.
- Is it really free? Yes! We ask that you leave a donation if you can, but you will not receive a bill from us, ever.
- Do I need to bring a form of identification or tax documents to be seen at FMC? No, we do not require any documentation from you to have an appointment here.
- How do I get to the clinic? We are located at 2440 Towncrest Drive in the Towncrest Medical Plaza on the east side of Iowa City. There is a map on our locations page. You can park in our lot, or take the Towncrest Bus from downtown to reach us. Please call us if you get lost!
Other Useful Resources
The staff at FMC is eager to help you find appropriate health care. If we can't help you, we will refer you to another organization. Following are some resources you may find helpful:
- A free, confidential phone service staffed by Mercy nurses that have years of experience. The nurses have a wide variety of resources and references to help you. Mercy On Call is the place to start for your health needs and questions.
- (319) 358-2767 or (800) 358-2767
- Mercy On Call RNs are ready to help you seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 12 midnight.
- The Mercy Urgent Care Clinic is for people who have a sudden illness or injury and need to see a doctor right away. No appointment needed.
- The University of Iowa College of Nursing Health Care is pleased to introduce the Sycamore Health Center, a new, primary care and mental health services clinic. Nurse practitioners, similar to doctors and physician assistants, provide care for all routine health concerns as well as acute and chronic illness management. A sliding scale is available for uninsured patients.
- Call (319) 337-9066 to make an appointment.
- UI QuickCare is a walk-in medical clinic available to anyone in the community. When you are ill, but don’t need an emergency room or can’t get to your regular doctor, UI QuickCare is a convenient choice open to anyone more than 6 months old. No appointment necessary.
- Non-profit clinics offering a range of services for your reproductive health.
- If you cannot afford your medications you may be eligible for assistance through the pharmaceutical company that makes your medication. These programs are available to anyone, not just FMC patients. Each program has different eligibility guidelines so make sure to check each of your medicines separately.
Johnson County Public Health - HIV Program
- Free, confidential HIV and Hepatitis C testing to at-risk populations in their office and at community events. They also work with other community agencies to provide vaccination against Hepatitis A and B. Please contact their office at 319-356-6038 to set up an appointment.
Johnson County Public Health - WIC/Maternal and Child Health
- Nutritional counseling, health care referral, and assistance provided to pregnant and nursing mothers as well as children up to 5 years.
- Immunizations Clinic for children ages 2 months through 18 years.
- Healthy Kids Community Care is a school based health clinic that is an extension of traditional health services offered in the Iowa City Community School District. The clinic is open to Johnson County residents aged 0-21, through graduation age, who are without access to affordable health care (such as no insurance or a high deductible).
- To make an appointment please call the Clinic Coordinator at (319) 631-3204
- Iowa offers hawk-i health care coverage for uninsured children of working families. No family pays more than $40 a month. Some families even pay nothing at all.
- Low cost and sometimes no cost federal insurance program for low-income individuals.
- Contact the Department of Human Services in your county to apply. In Johnson county the number to call is (319) 356-6050.
- Free Clinics of the Great Lakes Region is a network of 200+ volunteer-based clinics from Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin that provides health care services to the uninsured or medically underserved.
- The largest network of free medical clinics in the state of Iowa.
- The Community Mental Health Center for Mid-Eastern Iowa is dedicated to improving lives through high quality, accessible mental health services and to promoting awareness of mental health issues in the community.
- Please contact the clinic at (319) 338-7884 to find out about their services.
- The clinics provide comprehensive and referral dental services. Patients requesting student care are first evaluated by faculty dentists in Admissions. Pre-doctoral students are carefully supervised by faculty. Your contribution to the educational program results in a reduced fee.
- To schedule an appointment, call (319) 335-7499.
- AFFORDABLE DENTURES® practices provide dentures, mini dental implants, tooth extractions and partial dentures.
- Call (800) 336-8873 to find an office near you.
- October 18-19, 2013 in Des Moines, Iowa. Tons of Free Dental Care - check out their link for more info!