Schedule an Appointment
Things you need to know when scheduling an appointment at the Free Clinic:
- We provide basic outpatient health care.
- We do not provide emergency services.
- Services vary due to volunteer availability.
- Please call us at 319-337-4459 for scheduling details.
Health Care Enrollment
Open enrollment is now OPEN. Open enrollment runs from November 1, 2016 through January 31, 2017.
The Marketplace offers different types of health plans to meet a variety of needs and budgets. Depending on your income, you may be eligible for federal subsides to help pay for premiums. If you already have coverage through the Marketplace remember to re-enroll every year to keep your insurance in place. Make sure to get covered so that you do not have to pay any tax penalties!
You can apply for Medicaid anytime during the year. If you think you might qualify for one of these low-income programs, please contact your local Department of Human Services.
If you need help figuring out how this process works, assistance is available at Planned Parenthood of the Heartland (319-535-2679); Johnson County Social Services General Assistance (319-356-6090); or Department of Human Services (319-356-6050). More information is also available in the Johnson County Healthcare Outreach Brochure.
You can also call the Free Clinic; we'll be glad to assist you in finding the help you need!
The Iowa City Free Medical and Dental Clinic (FMC) is a non-profit organization, established in 1971. We believe that access to affordable health care is a basic human necessity. We strive to provide the widest range of medical and dental services possible to people in the Iowa City and surrounding community who would not otherwise have access to care.
Our principles of practice are:
- To eliminate barriers to health care by offering services without cost.
- To offer services that are non-judgmental and confidential.
- To encourage the participation of patients in their own care.
- To advocate for the medically under-served in our community.
Click here to see this lovely video which was recently made for us. It will give you a little more information about our clinic, our history, and what we do.
The staff at FMC is here to help you find appropriate health care. If we can't help you, we will refer you to another organization.
We depend on private donations to continue to provide services to our community. Every contribution helps, and we appreciate anything you are able to give. We are proud to be able to provide over $5 of services for every $1 you donate!
Top Ten Needed Items
- Medium (especially medium but any size) powder-free and latex-free medical glove
- Cold Medications - Cough Drops
- Heel Cups (can be purchased at any pharmacy!)
- Toothpaste and adult tooth brushes and fixident
- Travel-Size Personal Hygiene Items
- "Forever" stamps
- Adult S and M Depends